Saturday, September 25, 2010

Not ready for prime time player.

Ok, so I was waiting for last Thursday to update my blog. That's because it was the date of my first OB/GYN appointment, and my first ultrasound.
That's right. I'm pregnant.

WOOHOO! I had no real symptoms, but I grew dizzy at work a couple of times, and something in my head said "maaaybe?" I also went postal a couple of days in a row, which I thought may be a mega PMS, but no period. So I went to the calendar to figure out when my last period was, and I realized that I should be having the final day of my period. Oh boy. That was Monday August 30, so I went home early and took a home test. Positive. And without the 2 minute wait. I told Melvin that afternoon, and he insisted I take another test. Positive. Even faster than the other.

I decided to walk in to the clinic where I usually go, and Thursday was my first day off work. The wait time there is usually horrible, but when I put pregnancy test on my walk-in form, they rushed me to the back. I was at the office for no more than an hour total. The doctor I saw was my usual doctor, and she was so so excited! She is my age and so is the nurse, I heard them talking in the hall about how excited they were even before they came to tell me!


After she told me, she changed my Diabetes meds. I am now on insulin and a new blood pressure medication which seems to be working pretty well. Then she told gave me the number for an OB/GYN and told me she didn't want to see me again until I was walking in with a new baby in my arms :D


I got recommendations from friends and made an appointment with Dr. M for September 23. I was also told I needed to go to a "new mom" orientation class which was scheduled for the 15th. Mr. Man and I went to the class where they took about all of my blood (and bruised the hell out of me because she was determined to go for the monster vein in my right arm). We (meaning I) filled out a ton of paperwork, we were given bags of literature to read, bags of sample products, and a pregnancy journal from Similac. Then they went over some dos and don'ts, some things to expect etc. A WIC representative spoke to us and they talked about our insurance.


Finally we had our appointment. They called us back and did the ultrasound first thing. We heard the heartbeat which was amazing. The heart rate was 173. Based on the ultrasound my due date was moved to May 3,2011. The only other thing of note during the appointment was the doctor's decision to have me do a 24 urine test, which means I have to collect for a full day to check my kidney function to see if there is damage and to make sure sure the pregnancy does not cause/exacerbate the damage.




Sorry these are so blurry, but it's a picture of a picture. I will have them scanned and uploaded later, but for now here is the idea:


Photobucket


Photobucket



Since we don't know what it is yet, and I don't feel right calling the baby 'he' 'she' or especially 'it' and peanut just doesn't sound right, I've begun calling it "The not ready for prime time player." Prime time for short. And yes, as I hope you recognize, I am referring to these people:


Photobucket



I have been buying things here and there, but my favorite so far is my thrift store find, 5 onesies for $1.25:


Photobucket





More info as it comes, but we are so excited!
~CassAhhDee

No comments:

Post a Comment